Alright, so I’ve already admitted that my dogs are horrible counter-surfers. 😳 While most of the time, the worst that can happen when your dog gets into something they shouldn’t might be diarrhea or gas, there are times when counter-surfing and otherwise stealing stuff can be downright dangerous.
We’ll talk about crates some other time, but what do you do if your Weim gets into something like cooked chicken bones which can splinter and damage your dog’s insides?
What if they ate some – uh, let’s say – steel wool? (Don’t ask; suffice to say it’s happened to me.)
Since I was certain of what my Weim ate, I knew that I wanted it to pass through, not bring it back up causing damage on the way up.
IMPORTANT: Some things that are accidentally ingested within the past 2 hours such as antifreeze, human medications, toxic human foods, etc., will require that you induce vomiting!
Please call Animal Poison Control ((888) 426-4435; 24/7) or your emergency veterinarian for instructions if you are not sure what to do!
Anything sharp that’s been ingested needs to be “wrapped” with something in the digestive tract while it passes through, and here are some things you can give your Weim to do just that:
- Bread. Any kind. It will help “cushion” the items in the digestive tract.
- Cotton balls soaked in anything tasty. You need to use the cotton kind, not synthetic. The fibers will wrap around the sharp edges. Don’t give your dog too many as it could potentially cause a blockage instead.
- Canned asparagus. Again, the fibers will wrap around the sharp edges. The downside is that feeding it to your dog might not be easy…
- What I did. I got some chicken broth and poured in some Metamucil. It made a “big glob” (about 1 cup) of gelatinous “stuff” which my Weim gobbled right down. Warning: Only do this if your Weim has constant access to your yard! A little later, what went in came right out — and the steel wool was wrapped in the glob. Hooray!
It strikes me as sorta funny as to what makes a Weim owner say “Hooray,” but it truly is worrisome and extremely dangerous if your Weim gets into things he shouldn’t. And, unfortunately most of them eat ANYthing!
Please be aware that any time your Weim ingests something he shouldn’t, a vet visit is in order, and my advice doesn’t constitute veterinary advice!